“Let us never know what old age is. Let us know the happiness time brings, not count the years.” Ausonius
So in a week I’ll be turning 27! It slightly terrifies me that I’ve reached that point of my life where I’m much closer to 30 than 20. I am officially no longer in my early twenties 😫 but hey, with age comes wisdom… right?!!
Anyway, I’m always pretty hard on myself for a number of reasons, and I began to think of all the things I’ve actually learnt in 26 years, so here goes!
1. Trust your instinct. It is almost always right!!
2. It’s completely okay to not always want to engage with people. Realising I love my own company was a game changer!
3. Don’t compare yourself to anyone. Everyone takes a different path in life. Just cause Linda from accounts says she was married and had 2 kids by your age, doesn’t mean you have to
4. Social media is not real life! Everyone portrays their life as wonderful roses, myself included, but the reality is some days I eat beige as hell dinners and don’t get out of my unicorn pyjamas, but somehow that doesn’t make the Instagram cut!
5. Saying no is okay. This one has taken me a long while to realise! It’s okay to say no to people, it doesn’t make you a bad person.
6. Be nice. While it’s okay to say no, being nice costs nothing and will always pay off in the end. While we all know that Linda from accounts child makes cookies that taste like utter shite, it’s probably best not to say that.
7. Money isn’t everything. Of course I’d rather be crying in a Ferrari, but it isn’t everything. If you’re surrounded by those you love and whom love you, that is worth so much more.
8. Don’t stay in a job you hate! I did it for three years, it made me miserable. Find something you love, it makes the 6am wake up slightly more bareable!
9. Not everyone will like you. You can’t please everyone all of the time, so stop trying!
10. Plastic surgery is okay. If you want something that’s going to make you happy, and you can afford to do it, then do it! Botox has changed my life 😍 I always felt so uncomfortable when people asked if I’d had it done. Now I’m like yeah I did, and it’s made me happy. So what.
11. It is okay to spend more than £5 on a bottle of wine. The thought of this at university would have horrified me, but I’ve come to realise the highest alcoholic content for the lowest price is not the best method.
12. Cups of tea solve most issues in life. Feeling blue? Cuppa tea. Broken up? Cuppa tea. Lost your job? Cuppa tea.
13. Porn is completely okay. As is enjoying sex. I refuse to be embarrassed of these, and neither should you!
14. Feminism is not a dirty word. Wanting to be considered equal to men is not something anyone should be ashamed of.
15. It’s okay to admit if you’re struggling. Most people have at one point in their life, you’re not alone.
16. Don’t overpluck your eye brows! You’ll end up walking round with a driving license for 10 years that makes you look like an alien.
17. Never settle. Everyone deserves nothing but the best, don’t let anyone ever make you feel like you don’t.
18. Valencia filter on instagram is everything.
19. Your friends are the family that you choose. You can’t pick your family, but you do get to pick your friends, and if you’re lucky you consider them as part of your family.
20. Beige dinners are the ultimate comfort food, but vegetables are important. If I had my way I’d live on turkey dinosaurs forever, but 1. Jamie Oliver might have me put down, 2. I might die of heart failure. Eat the vegetables for crying out loud.
21. There is no better feeling in life than; shaved legs and clean bed sheets.
22. It’s completely acceptable to like dogs more than some humans (all humans…)
23. Friends will come and go. Just because you’ve known someone forever doesn’t mean that they are a valuable friend, just as someone you’ve known for a short time can be an added delight.
24. Take time for you. Even it’s an hour getting your nails done each week. It’s time well spent!
25. Learning to love yourself is hard. It’s necessary but it’s a hard lesson to learn!
26. Don’t be afraid to tell those you love them. I always say I love you to my friends and family when I finish on the phone with them, and when I leave.
So that’s it! A list of things I’ve learnt over my 26 years. Now I’m going to cry into my wine at the prospect of being that bit closer to 30 😫